Reproducing tuning curves in NumPy

I’m going to be using Nengo in my neural nets course in a few weeks, and I want to give my students an understanding of how tuning curves work. Following the “What I cannot create I do not understand” approach, I’d like to have the students use numpy and matplotlib to generate and plot a set of tuning curves like the ones in the Nengo logo, or the ones in the documentation, without using the built-in Nengo tuning_curves libary. If I understand Terry’s intro NEF article correctly, I should be able to come up with a function G() such that G(alpha * e * x + b) will produce such curves, with positive e giving an ascending curve, and negative e giving a decending curve. I played around a bit with np.log(), but I’m sure there’s a better way to do this.

This seems to work pretty well:

def G(v):

g = np.log(np.abs(v))

g[v<0] = 0
    g[g<0] = 0

return  g

You might be interested in the lines from LIFRate.step_math:

def step_math(self, dt, J, output):
        """Implement the LIFRate nonlinearity."""
        j = J - 1
        output[:] = 0  # faster than output[j <= 0] = 0
        output[j > 0] = self.amplitude / (
            self.tau_ref + self.tau_rc * np.log1p(1. / j[j > 0]))
        # the above line is designed to throw an error if any j is nan
        # (nan > 0 -> error), and not pass x < -1 to log1p

The current J is set to gain * e.dot(x) + bias, where the gain and bias are solved to obtain (by default) a uniform distribution of intercepts and max_rates (the firing rate when e.dot(x) == 1). This last bit is accomplished by LIFRate.gain_bias, and can be derived by rearranging the equation from step_math:

def gain_bias(self, max_rates, intercepts):
        """Analytically determine gain, bias."""
        max_rates = np.array(max_rates, dtype=float, copy=False, ndmin=1)
        intercepts = np.array(intercepts, dtype=float, copy=False, ndmin=1)

inv_tau_ref = 1. / self.tau_ref if self.tau_ref > 0 else np.inf
        if np.any(max_rates > inv_tau_ref):
            raise ValidationError("Max rates must be below the inverse "
                                  "refractory period (%0.3f)" % inv_tau_ref,
                                  attr='max_rates', obj=self)

x = 1.0 / (1 - np.exp(
            (self.tau_ref - (1.0 / max_rates)) / self.tau_rc))
        gain = (1 - x) / (intercepts - 1.0)
        bias = 1 - gain * intercepts
        return gain, bias

Thanks, Aaron; this really clears things up.

By the way, for sake of completeness, and just in case some of your students might benefit from a derivation, here is one that I think is suitable for those from an engineering / calculus background with a working knowledge of ODEs:

The sub-threshold ($0 < v(t) < 1$) dynamics of the LIF model follow the first-order differential equation:

$$\tau_\text{rc} \dot{v}(t) + v(t) = j(t)$$

If coming from a control theory background, this is sometimes written in the Laplace domain as a lowpass filter:

$$\frac{V(s)}{J(s)} = \frac{1}{\tau_\text{rc} s + 1}$$

In the time-domain, we can rearrange into the more familiar form of a “leaky integrator”:

$$\dot{v}(t) = \frac{1}{\tau_\text{rc}} \left( j(t) - v(t) \right)$$

and solve this ODE given a constant input current $j(t) = u$:

$$v(t) = v(0) + \left( u - v(0) \right) \left(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{\tau_\text{rc}}} \right) $$

Now we want to figure out how much time it takes for the neuron to spike given $u$. Assuming we aren’t in the refractory period, we can do this by setting $v(0) = 0$, $v(t) = 1$, and rearranging for $t$:

$$
\begin{align}
1 &= u \left(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{\tau_\text{rc}}} \right) \\
\frac{1}{u} &= 1 - e^{-\frac{t}{\tau_\text{rc}}} \\
\log e^{-\frac{t}{\tau_\text{rc}}} &= \log \left( 1 - \frac{1}{u} \right)\\
t &= -\tau_\text{rc} \log \left( 1 - \frac{1}{u} \right)
\end{align}
$$

For subtle numerical reasons related to the use of np.log1p, we further rearrange this as follows:
$$
\begin{align}
t &= - \tau_\text{rc} \log \left( \frac{u - 1}{u} \right) \\
&= \tau_\text{rc} \log \left[ \left( \frac{u - 1}{u} \right)^{-1} \right] \\
&= \tau_\text{rc} \log \left( \frac{u}{u - 1} \right) \\
&= \tau_\text{rc} \log \left( \frac{u - 1 + 1}{u - 1} \right) \\
&= \tau_\text{rc} \log \left( 1 + \frac{1}{u - 1} \right)
\end{align}
$$

In either case, the total time to spike, including the refractory period, is $\tau_\text{ref} + t$. And since frequency is the reciprocal of period, the spike-rate in response to $u$ becomes:

$$
r(u) = \frac{1}{\tau_\text{ref} + \tau_\text{rc} \texttt{log1p} \left( \frac{1}{u - 1} \right)} \text{.} \qquad \square
$$

Feel free to use / repurpose this however you see fit. :slight_smile:

Thanks, again Aaron. I’m not sure there are any students in the class (all undergrads) who can follow the math, but I’ll definitely benefit from studying it myself.