Installation (and other) problems with nengo_ocl

I’m currently trying to install nengo_ocl on my machine (in a virtualenv with anaconda, Ubuntu 14.04) and I ran into some problems:

1. First of all, I installed nengo_ocl directly from github. When executing python setup.py develop I get the error message error: option --addopts not recognized. I solved this issue by checking out an older commit, before --addopts was introduced to setup.py (with this state the installation works fine). But how can I solve this with the latest master-branch?

2. After the succesful installation I tried to run the basic code example from the README, which resulted in the following error message:

Exception AttributeError: "'Simulator' object has no attribute '_model'" in <bound method Simulator.__del__ of <nengo_ocl.simulator.Simulator object at 0x7fd9ef204ed0>> ignored
``` My (py)opencl installation seems to be fine, as I can run a minimal example of that part without errors. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong with nengo_ocl? Do I have to do any preconfiguration or am I missing something?

You’ll need to use the latest released version of Nengo (v2.2.0), not the development version. Let me know if that works.

1 Like

I installed Nengo from github as well. I tried with the current master branch of the nengo-repo as well as with with tag v2.2.0, both led to the error message in my first post. More precisely:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "nengo_ocl_test.py", line 18, in <module>
    with nengo_ocl.Simulator(model) as sim:
  File "my_path_to_nengo_ocl/nengo_ocl/nengo_ocl/simulator.py", line 279, in __init__
    self.model = None
AttributeError: can't set attribute
Exception AttributeError: "'Simulator' object has no attribute '_model'" in <bound method Simulator.__del__ of <nengo_ocl.simulator.Simulator object at 0x7f7a0079bed0>> ignored

edit: something seemingly went wrong last time I tried this. With Nengo v2.2.0 nengo_ocl works fine. Thanks for your help :slight_smile: