Do all examples of core Nengo go into the Nengo repository?

I made some examples for my friend who is trying to build a Nengo model and to help her out, I made a few examples. Specifically, I made an example of how to use the spa.Compare network and how to make a thresholding ensemble.

Where should I put these examples? Should I make a pull request for the Nengo GUI? Should I make these examples into notebooks and make a pull request for the core Nengo repository?

We have a bunch of examples in non-obvious places right now, so it would be good to consolidate them. I made a nengo_examples repo for this, so please make a PR there! Right now there isn’t any infrastructure there to connect the examples to the GUI, but we can certainly add that later. For now, it’s good to consolidate anyhow.

What format should the examples be in?

Right now there isn’t any infrastructure there to connect the examples to the GUI, but we can certainly add that later.

What do you mean by “infrastructure”?

The examples can be in whatever format you want. Just make sure to include a README with info on dependencies and how to run the examples (see the HTBaB tutorials as an example).

Things like 1) making the examples pip-installable, 2) automatically generating an index of all examples, and 3) using entry points so that the GUI can discover what examples the user currently has installed.

Do you mean making the requirements pip-installable or something else?

May I also make the request for automatic testing of the examples with the newest version of Nengo with Travis CI? Also, could we adopt an open licence for the repository so people aren’t afraid to copy stuff from it?

Finally, should all further discussion about this repository be moved into the issues of the nengo_examples repository?

No, I mean being able to do pip install nengo_examples. That’s one of the tricky things about the examples repository… we don’t want install all possible dependencies when installing, as maybe some examples will be SpiNNaker specific (for example), which most people don’t need to install. So, we need to think about how to organize things such that dependencies are checked per example (or for groups of examples) and how to communicate what needs to be installed when users don’t have the right dependencies.

Yep… I forgot to include a license for the HTBAB examples, but yeah, we should talk about licensing (maybe at the next lab meeting?)

Yep, good point. I’ll open some issues there from this topic and close it.