Nengo Bones 0.1.0 released

The Nengo Bones team is happy to announce the release of Nengo Bones 0.1.0.

What is Nengo Bones?

Nengo Bones is designed to unify the configuration of projects across the Nengo ecosystem. For example, many of our repositories use very similar scripts during CI. Rather than each repository maintaining its own version of those scripts, the idea behind Nengo Bones is to maintain those scripts in a single central repository, which each downstream repo will access. Nengo Bones uses a templating system, which allows downstream repos to customize the behaviour while still allowing that behaviour to be easily updated when a change is made upstream in Nengo Bones.

How do I use it?

The first step in using Nengo Bones is to define a .nengobones.yml config file. This stores all the configuration information that Nengo Bones will use when rendering the templated files. See the documentation for a demonstration of the available configuration options, or you may find it useful to look at a .nengobones.yml from an existing repository.

Once the .nengobones.yml has been filled in, we are ready to use Nengo Bones. Whenever possible, Nengo Bones will generate the templated files automatically, so that they can be updated without any changes in downstream repos. However, certain files need to be generated locally and committed to the repo in order to perform their function (such as the .travis.yml file). These files can be generated by running

generate-bones

in the root directory of your repository.

This will update all the necessary files, and you can then commit any changes to your repo.

What’s new?

This is the first official release of Nengo Bones! Note that this is still a beta release, so there may be bugs and we do expect Nengo Bones to change rapidly over the next little while.

How do I get it?

To install Nengo Bones, we recommend using pip:

pip install nengo-bones

More detailed installation instructions can be found here.

Where can I learn more?

Where can I get help?

You’re already there! If you have an issue upgrading or have any other questions, please post them in this forum.

0 Likes